- City News: Contents Of Kong’s “Confession Letter” Revealed (http://www.citynews.sg/2014/09/city-harvest-trial-contents-of-kongs-confession-letter-revealed/)
Kong’s 2010 Pleas....
On June 3, 2010, Kong Hee wrote a 12-page letter to “come clean” about his “negligence”. He ended it with these four pleas.
• The fallout from my negligence and mistakes is tragic enough for my family. I wonder everyday how this situation will affect my little boy and his future. The impact on the 32,000-plus members will be painfully great as well. With the recent purchase of shares in Suntec Convention, there is now serious doubt in CHC’s ability to fulfill its commitment in the deal. And with their senior pastor’s reputation in question, I’m worried how many members will feel lost and disappointment not just in me, but in Christianity and God as well.
• Outside of my church, the impact of this on Christianity and the charity sector in Singapore would be unfathomable. I worry that the integrity of all pastors and megachurches will be viewed with great suspicion hereafter. The charity sector, which has already suffered the bad publicities of the NKF and Renci debacles, will take yet another hit because of my ignorance and negligence.
• I am willing to shoulder the blame of my failure as the senior pastor of service to my church, our society and to lives in need locally as well as internationally. But more than that, I pray that the authorities will help CHC, Singapore Christianity, and the local charity sector navigate through this very unfortunate and damning situation that I have caused.
• Finally, I plead for leniency even as I recognize my failures and mistakes throughout this entire situation. I see now how wrong many of the decisions I was a part of are now after reviewing them with my lawyers from Drew and Napier. However in all honesty, I truly did not make any of these decisions with the intention of personal gain. I hope that you will believe my testimony above and give me a chance to make amends to become a better person and Christian minister.
I like how City News put the words "Confession Letter", "come clean" and "negligence" in inverted commas, which I thought were so appropriate, given the fishy circumstance the 12-page document was being penned. For the 5-part hearing on this "Confession Letter" Q&A please refer to: http://mrslightnfriends.com/category/chctrial .
It came as a surprise to many for this late showing of "evidence". Even the judge was at a loss what to call it: statement? letter?
If the above summary of KH's intention comprising the four points is anything to go by, we can safely conclude it is no confession either. Was there even the slightest hint of remorse? The so-called "confession" threw up more questions than answers, it seems.
1. It was not submitted to any of the authorities despite KH's claim that that was his instruction to his lawyer, Jimmy Yim. Did Jimmy Yim fail in his duty to carry out his client's instruction?
2. Why was there no soft copy of this 12-page document that took 6-8 hours and a whole team galvanised into action to come up with the exact dates, monies, email and other vital info for this document to be produced. Isn't it the normal practice in this computer age for the law firm to send a soft copy of any correspondence to its client? If there was no soft copy, how does KH do a "copy & past" of the details, as he claimed to have done?
3. If -- according to KH -- Serina, Sharon, Teo Meng How, Tan Ye Peng & his wife were present on 3 June 2010, then why wasn't CEH also invited to assist with the info and give his input, since he was key to a number of transactions?
4. Was there any "coming clean" as in admission of guilt?
No. All was said were his "mistakes", "negligence", "failure", "wrong decision after reviewing...with [his] lawyers" and lastly, his "worries".
Firstly, CBT and round-tripping are not "mistakes". They are criminal acts punishable by law.
Secondly, it seems highly unlikely that the offences were committed due to his negligence. With so many years experience at the helm as chairman of the church board, is this even possible?
What about "failure" and "wrong decision"? From the email evidences, they appear to be meticulously planned, right down to back-dating certain evidences.
He's asking to shoulder the blame? For what?
To shoulder blame for his mistake as a "pastor" is not the same as committing those "mistakes" himself. In "shouldering blame" KH is trying to portray himself as the sacrificial lamb, which he is not. How could he be the sacrificial lamb when he and his wife were the biggest beneficiaries from the scam?
5. KH claimed: "...With the recent purchase of shares in Suntec Convention, there is now serious doubt in CHC’s ability to fulfill its commitment in the deal."
If the document was indeed written on 3 June 2010, then what did he mean by CHC’s ability to fulfill its "commitment", since it would have been fully paid for the 20% stake at that point in time?
It was only in late 2011 that the additional 19% stake was acquired and financed through a $50million loan financing, provided by the seller HPIL.
So why was it produced at the eleventh hour? What hole(s) was he trying to patch this time?
City Harvest Trial: Contents Of Kong’s “Confession Letter” Revealed
The re-examination of Kong Hee ended today with defense lawyer Edwin Tong underscoring that Kong’s state of mind in 2010 when investigations began was consistent with his testimony on the stand.
- “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:19-21 NKJV)
Prosperity, Health and Success in this world means nothing if you have lost your salvation.
In so desperately trying to become a model for their flawed doctrine of prosperity, the leaders of CHC have gone down a path of deceit and deception.
Many good and Godly men have given up their lives to spread the word of God, that we might know about Him and the gospel, not for a man to use it to deceive his congregation and feed the ego of his wife.
There is NOTHING edifying about Sun's Hollywood "career". A real pastor should direct his folk to the instructions of God and to think of their eternity, not to pleasures of this world.
The sheer amount of money that he has taken from his members is obscene, but what is even more disgusting is KH's refusal to repent and seek forgiveness from God. People like him have no place shepherding the souls of others.
The above video link is Pastor Jentezen Franklin's sermon on a motion sensitive God.
I remember attending a similar sermon by Kong Hee but I can't find it anymore online. I remember his sermon mentioned that he was in an airplane toilet and as he washed his hands, he described the tap as motion sensitive and proceeded to touch upon the gist of God being motion sensitive. Kong's sermon is a blatant copy of Pastor Franklin's sermon.
Anyone has a copy or link to Kong's sermon for comparison's sake?
Motion Sensitive God
Pastor: Jentezen Franklin Kingdom Connection: Free Chapel Church Pastor Franklin talks about the things we do and things we say affect our relationship with ...
- I'll like to appreciate the individual(s) who started this page. Whether we admit it or not, or choose to ignore - all Christians, or those who call themselves ex-Christians, are affected by the CHC trial. Thank you for creating this and giving so many people a voice for their grievances.
Though I'm not from CHC but I was from another mega church years ago. I've experienced similar lack of accountability all in the pretext of "submission to authority". And seen similar lack of independent thinking and questioning all in the name of "touch not the Lord's anointed".
The CHC saga is a wake up call for all. I thank this site for creating that awareness. The sharing is such a carthartic relief, knowing you are not alone. As much as it's important such sharing continues, taking logical steps often is the best way to move forward in such emotional cycles.
I've read some commentators who have made several practical useful suggestions. Can I make another one? Instead of just being angsty over past feelings n experiences, why not take practical steps by finding articles, links etc, compiling them and exposing the truth as it is. We need to start calling a spade a spade.
There are many truths that's still not proven. For instance, for me recently, to hear Kong Hee say he did not gain personally was another great shocker. I do not care if he is lying or in denial, but it's not truth. At all.
Let's start finding and posting these evidence. This can not only help those who are healing but those who are bound in blind loyalty too. A friend found this about Sun Ho's so called 'sponsored' stay in a delivery suite: http://sgforums.com/forums/1533/topics/111436?page=2
Let's start viewing and showing the truth as it is.
- I read about Taiwan Cultural Mandate a few posts below...and would like to confess something.
I was part of the team for certain legs of the "tour", and throughout the different performances there's this song which they kept emphasizing Sun wrote the lyrics herself (I have forgotten which song it was) and I was quite amazed that she could write such good Chinese lyrics, which definitely wasn't her strong suit. Apparently the lyrics' inspiration came from Sun's personal life experiences...
However, I found out later from my friend who was also involved in the mission trip that actually the lyrics were written by KC...not Sun...
Was really stumbled. Why the pretense?
- My heart will ache and trigger nostalgia of the old PK and SH that I knew whenever I see their pictures or read about them in papers. Even my toddler remembers him and will call out his name whenever he sees a photo of PK in the paper.
Most important of all, it has brought back memories of God who has been speaking to our hearts about certain events way back in 2003 but we justify it away using our rational thinking and behaviour. I like what the confessor of 41A days sharing about feeling uneasy and the gentle tuggings of the Holy Spirit that we should not ignore.
Just to name a few events:
SH is not a pastor...Ed Hardy T-shirts...China Wine video...the focus on high profile people & celebrity...bodyguards surrounding and following PK & Sun...privileges such as special car pass decal for carpark lots behind Expo...TYP's brand new 7 series BMW (my spouse saw him driving and parking into Expo carpark)...PM's focus on the influential people in BBG (Oh cause Jesus focus on Zacchaeus the Tax Collector)...lack of presence of God since Expo days (maybe it is just me)...
We got to hear from the other side first in May 2013. Anyway, the church is unable to comment much at that time as they said that there is a trial going on.
Just to name a few...No US$5mil contract...PK & TYP not tithing....MPA..S$2.1 mil for CHC KL as BF was transferred to Crossover Project as salaries for 2 staff...false attendance figures...PK and foreign speakers engagement fees based on church size...etc
But we still chose to stay in CHC and wait for his side of the story cause PK said so himself: "I maintain my integrity...Many allegations were made in the media... please know there are always two sides to every story. I look forward to the day that I can tell you my side of the story in court."
Does he want us to hear his side of the story? My personal opinion is NO. Cause I encountered behaviour and actions that says otherwise. I have to queue up @ 4.45am to get the court hearing tickets cause about 10-16 SOT students will be there around 5am to queue up. They will pass the tickets to a coordinator. When news about hoarding of tickets came out in the press, they said that SOT volunteered for some parents who can't come and queue for it themselves due to busyness of life. I beg to differ as the court is always half filled. And some of them who were there were not listening to the trial but busy with their phones if the security guard don't catch them. But thanks to the news report, I don't have to queue at 4.45am but 9.30am outside court 1 and they will let you in at 10am subject to seat availability. While queuing outside the court, I caught a guy staring at me for a few seconds before discreetly marking his blue file. Seating one empty seat away from him is Suraj whom I saw for myself passing tickets to a Pastor and a church staff and the same guy will mark his blue file again. Then I realised that it might be an attendance file? For what purpose? So that they will know who attended and the profile of the attendees? Why? I don't know and I don't wish to speculate. But if you have nothing to fear, you have nothing to hide from anyone?
I was glad that I attended cause I get to hear from the horse's mouth (i.e. first hand information).
No US$5mil contract materialised by Jun 05 but the members were not informed...PK tithed to MPA (although it is for Crossover Project and PK & SH's livelihood but still my opinion his personal bank a/c)...false attendance records 12K vs 33K...MPA deficit due to SH's salary & royalties of $440K in 09 that was hidden from MPA donors as PK shared in court that it was confidential...First Day Cover is personalised and can be bought from any China post office and not given by officials cause there will be an official stamp on it...email to various Pastor & ZS to buy SH's CDs in the retail stores and not warehouse/APL and each zone are tasked to buy (PK shared in court that only CDs purchased from retail stores will up the music charts)...
When I tried to verify these facts with my CGL, I noticed a pattern in Q&A (current CHC members to note)...EITHER HALF TRUTH...OH that is not the actual MPA budget (true but only 50% fact cause there is another budget with the deficit due to SH's salary & royalties of $440K in 2009 and a letter to ask each donor for S$10k plus if possible to cover the deficit)..OR HE WILL GO ROUND THE QN W/O ANSWERING...like no US$5mil contract...OH she has decca/universal taiwan/Tonos without answering yes or no....the focus has changed from "I maintained my integrity" to "he is normal as all normal people makes mistakes"...so did he made a mistake or not?...
But I won't forget their teachings and sacrifices that old PK & SH have taught us. There are everlasting cause I believe that they did not start out like that right from the beginning like that. Probably greed and great love for his wife and her desire to be a superstar. I am only curious about one thing. Is it Adam or Eve who sinned first? But never mind. That is a separate topic by itself and I don't need a conclusion for that.
For now, as for me and my household, we will continue to serve the Lord but in another church until the leadership realigns its focus by placing God's CHARACTER, VALUES, TRUTH as well as God as HEAD of the body above UNITY.
I think God still loves CHC a lot as he does with other churches and every single one of us (Christians or not). There is definitely an end intended by God as he is gracious and merciful and we should let Him do his job while we continue living our lives with a moral conscience, apply the character of God into our lives and most importantly all to rebuild our trust and confidence and let go and let God take care of the disciplining as well as forgiveness & restoration part.
- I've been attending CHC for six years now but since last year I moved to Australia to study. The reason for my confession is to share someone's testimony and contrast that to Sun Ho's. Could I introduce all of you to Dami Im, the winner of X Factor Australia 2013? Some of you might have heard her song Super Love play on local radios, and boy is it catchy! Anyway, you could find her contest journey on YouTube, but this is just one of the many videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mNznfP7XpA
Dami is a 24 year old Korean who moved to Australia since she was 9 years old. She took part in the competition and made it to the bootcamp round, and failed to make it to the next round because she botched the lyrics of Jolene. In a miraculous turn of events, someone withdrew during the judges' house round, and Dami was called in as a replacement. Surely, she impressed her coach Danni Minogue well enough to make it to the finals. For the first five weeks in the finals she scored standing ovations from ALL judges in every episode, a record in the X Factor Australia history, and she'd eventually cruise her way into the grand final and take the crown. When she won the competition, the first person she thanked was God -- despite an initial awkward silence from the audience, they still cheered rousingly regardless -- and how He used her (whom she self-described as not-so-cool and daggy, check out her thanksgiving in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njLCZTk-TCc)
Here are some points to consider. 1) Dami is an Asian, and to win the competition in a country where white privilege exists and race is discriminated albeit in very subtle ways, is in itself an accomplishment AND a crossover. 2) Dami belonged to the 'Overs' group in the competition -- which means her odds continued to stack against her, and true enough the other two contestants in the group were eliminated within the first three weeks of the finals. 3) Dami hasn't had any cosmetic surgery done to her except a corrective one to her nose due to an accident. 4) Dami is proudly Christian and continues to serve in her church in Brisbane. 5) Dami is obviously very quirky, awkward and not your typical diva.
When you compare Dami with Sun, it simply doesn't make sense that the latter needs all that money and manpower to crossover into western entertainment. It's even nonsensical that more than fifty million dollars have been wasted now that her music career has been cut short. This comparison has convinced me that had the crossover indeed been God-ordained, the church wouldn't have had to resort to such manipulative and strategic tactics to force feed Sun into the American audience. Moreover, it's not that Sun sings ridiculously well to begin with. I'm not a music professional, but I trust in this thing called common sense. And common sense tells me that Sun's voice is just average, and China Wine was a disaster (I'm not even going into the moral argument about that video yet)
You could argue about how Sun is just putting on a persona to appeal to the American market and her lavish and extravagant lifestyle is but a tactic to make heads turn and gain some respect among her peers, and most importantly, she has touched and changed lives. But could I just remind again, and implore everyone to be in touch with common sense -- what are the fruits of the Crossover beside the saved souls? I could name these few: Vanity. Extravagance. Elitism. Loss of taste. Self-righteousness. Infallibility. The church has inculcated a mindset of chasing after glory and appointed among themselves idols in the stage and pastoral ministry. Are these virtues we truly associate with Christianity?
In conclusion, I'd just like to say... if you're good at something, you'll want to tell people. But if you're great at something, people will tell you. And with that, Sun Ho is at best good.
WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT - The X Factor Australia 2013 Grand Final Live Decider & Winner's Single
Dami Im & Taylor Henderson | Winner Announced Congratulations to the winner!
- I have been following this site for the pass 3 week and finally decided to send my first post. First of all, my English is limited, so please excuse me. I have been a Buddhist for at least 10 years before I converted to Christian because my wife prefers Christian (cos I don’t want to have a home with different religions and resulting jeopardy in our family relationship). We have been in CHC for about 10 years and I told my wife 10 years ago, no problem for me to convert to Christian (as I always think that all religions have their own good point and I don’t like to hear religions criticising one another. And I told her, when you are in a religion, always follows the God way but NOT the leader! There is a lot of Church but there is always only one GOD).
For CHC, life still need to carry on, with or without KH. I have seen lots of religion leaders doing thing in the wrong way (in Chinese they said, 讲一套做一套). Like using their religion position/power to ask follower to do their own personal things. Well, they are all humans, no human is prefect. When you see people doing good thing, just follow them and when you see people doing wrong thing, remind yourself not to do follow their mistake, 择其善者而从之，择其不善者而改之. Some of my customers ask me about my opinion regarding the CHC case, well this is my reply: “If they are innocent, GOD will repay them, but if they are guilty, well, GOD will also punish them!”
- I attended CHC in 1999. I don't attend CHC anymore. It was hard for me to sit and listen to KH and SH after knowing that they lied systematically to take advantage of the people who genuinely loved them. It was equally hard to see other pastors continued covering KH's lies.
I wonder if one of the reasons KH and SH became delusional thinking SH got qualities to be a pop star because many guest speakers complimented Sun as the gorgeous/beautiful Sun. Dr Robin Harfouche also referred to Sun as the beautiful Sun.
To be fair, SH has had beautiful skin and nose before she launched Sun with Love, but I always think she lacks of that X factor to be a pop star.
I remember KH rebuked Aries when Aries answered him that he bought 5 Sun with Love CDs. KH told Aries that no wonder he was only the 4th man at CHC unlike Derek Dunn and Ye Peng who bought 10 CDs. This took place when Phil Pringle was visiting CHC and PP announced to the church he bought (I forget the exact number) more than 2 copies of Sun with Love.
This case reminds me it is important to have people who dare and can speak the truth in our lives. Surrounding our lives with yes men=inviting pride to reside in our heart.
KH loves to rub soldiers with Indonesian top businessmen. I wonder after these hard facts surfaced, will Roy (the CEO of Lippo), that Grand Hyatt owner, etc still want to hang out with him?
- To current and ex-CHC goers: We cannot truly move on until we are ready to forgive and forget. I am not there yet but hope that with time and the distance I have placed between myself and the church, I can leave this heavy baggage behind and move on with my life. How about you?
For me, this saga has become like a poison. A drug. Everyday, I find myself scouring this page, the news and other related blogs for more information about the case and misdeeds of those involved. Maybe because the church has deprived us of the "truth"?
But what is the truth really? I cannot say that I am 100% sure and I know I must take everything with a pinch of salt. I do not feel good reading about all this negative info but yet I crave to know more. And the more I read, the more grieved and saddened I feel. It is very unhealthy for my mental and spiritual well being.
At this moment, it sure feels like we had been taken for a ride. The most expensive and ridiculous ride of our lives. And yet there are still many who are in denial or blindly loyal. Do those who stay on, do so out of sheer ignorance or have they decided to forgive?
My faith in the church leadership has been shaken and I feel I can no longer trust the way they manage the funds we entrusted them with. Who can you trust if you can't even trust your own church leaders to do the right thing?